Because good nutrition is so important for young children—even before birth—the Women, Infants, and Children program (WIC) helps families make healthy eating choices, stretch their grocery budgets, and find other community resources to meet their nutritional needs. 

WIC is available for women who are pregnant, have recently given birth or are breastfeeding, or have infants and children up to age 5. Eligible families receive food vouchers, one-on-one education and counseling, breastfeeding support, and health care referrals. 

WIC staff are highly-trained counselors, doctors, and nurses who will help guide and support you through a challenging, but rewarding time in you and your child’s life. What are you waiting for? Explore the benefits for you & your baby and check your eligibility below.

For You

Are you pregnant, breastfeeding, or a non-breastfeeding postpartum woman? Maintaining your health and wellness during this precious time is just as important for you as it is for your baby. WIC offers supplemental nutritious foods, breastfeeding support and aiding products, nutrition education and counseling, and screening and referrals to other health, welfare, and social services. You’ll meet one-on-one with a WIC counselor to discuss the needs for you and your family. Privacy, respect, and personalized support: WIC is here for you.

North Carolina WIC is now offering eWIC – an electronic benefit transfer system! Instead of paper food instruments, WIC food benefits are issued into an electronic benefit account at the local WIC clinic. Families use their eWIC card and PIN to access their food benefits at the grocery store. Use in conjunction with the Bnft® app for more flexible control over your benefits (and less check-out line stress)! 

Bnft® app available for both Apple and Android devices.

For Your Baby

More than half of the infants in the United States participate in WIC. Whether you’re a mother or a caregiver, you may be eligible to receive WIC benefits for your infant or child up to age 5. WIC offers supplemental nutritious foods for infants and children, including infant formula, fresh fruits and vegetables, bread and cereal, peanut butter, dairy products, hearty proteins, and more! As an additional benefit, you’ll also have access to nutrition education and counseling and other available social services. 

At each appointment with your WIC counselor, you and your child will receive personalized, attentive care. We know this time is challenging – allow us to give you some peace of mind. WIC is here for your baby.


Checking your eligibility is just as easy as the program! You can use the WIC PreScreening Tool, or for more information and to talk to a local WIC counselor, call 828.884.3242.

To be eligible for WIC, families must live in North Carolina and meet income guidelines. All Medicaid, SNAP, and Work First recipients meet the income criteria. Women, infants and children receive a nutritional assessment to identify problems such as anemia, poor weight gain, increased weight gain, physical activity level, or other nutrition-related health concerns. WIC is an equal opportunity program.


Make an Appointment

Ready to enroll or re-enroll? Call our office to set up your first appointment: 828.884.3242 

The Transylvania County WIC Office is located on the 3rd floor of 

Transylvania Public Health

106 E Morgan Street, Suite 105 
Brevard, NC 28712

For your first appointment, please bring:

  1. Proof of identification for all individuals applying for WIC (ie: valid driver’s license, Social Security card, current work/school ID, current Medicaid card, current military ID, birth certificate, or immunization record. For infants: hospital crib card, ID bracelet, or mother’s verification of facts form)
  2. Proof of income for all household members with income (ie current paycheck stubs, recent tax return or history of earnings for the past twelve months, current Medicaid card, a letter of certification for the NC Food and Nutrition Services, a letter from your employer stating gross income and frequency of pay, or unemployment letter/notice)
  3. Proof of residence, where you currently live (ie current utility bill, valid driver’s license, current Medicaid card or presumptive eligibility form, bank statement, current rental or mortgage receipts, or DMV ID card)

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Aviso de no Discriminación

De conformidad con la Ley Federal de Derechos Civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE. UU. (USDA, por sus siglas en inglés), se prohíbe que el USDA, sus agencias, oficinas, empleados e instituciones que participan o administran programas del USDA discriminen sobre la base de raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, discapacidad, edad, o en represalia o venganza por actividades previas de derechos civiles en algún programa o actividad realizados o financiados por el USDA.

Las personas con discapacidades que necesiten medios alternativos para la comunicación de la información del programa (por ejemplo, sistema Braille, letras grandes, cintas de audio, lenguaje de señas americano, etc.), deben ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) en la que solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades de audición o discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service [Servicio Federal de Retransmisión] al (800) 877-8339. Además, la información del programa se puede proporcionar en otros idiomas.

Para presentar una denuncia de discriminación, complete el Formulario de Denuncia de Discriminación del Programa del USDA, (AD-3027) que está disponible en línea en: How to File a Complaint, y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o bien escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de denuncia, llame al (866) 632-9992. Haga llegar su formulario lleno o carta al USDA por:

  1. Correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. Fax: (202) 690-7442; o
  3. Correo electrónico: [email protected].

Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.