General Information and Referrals
The best way to find resources in Transylvania County is to call 211.
United Way‘s “211” program maintains a directory of services for each county.
- Dial 211 (or 888.892.1162) to speak with a trained resource assistant who can help you find the information you need and connect you directly with those resources.
- Visit nc211.org to access the directory online. A copy of the directory’s resources for Transylvania County (as of 3.5.2015) is available here.
IN A CRISIS:
- 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline – Connect to trained counselors to offer free and confidential emotional support for people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Available 24/7. Call, text, or chat 988.
- RHA Mobile Crisis – Intensive on-site response, stabilization, and intervention for people of all ages experiencing a crisis due to mental health disturbances, developmental disabilities, or addiction. Will travel to person’s home, work, school, or wherever in the community the crisis occurs. Available 24/7/365 Call 888.573.1006.
- C3356 Behavioral Health Urgent Care Walk-In Center – Triage, crisis assessment, linkage to care and community resources. 356 Biltmore Ave, Asheville. Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm. Call 800.848.0180.
- Vaya Health Access to Care Line – Speak with a trained professional who can provide immediate crisis intervention by telephone and arrange a face-to-face assessment, based on need, for Vaya Health members. Available 24/7. Call 800.849.6127.
SEE HOW YOU’RE DOING: If you have mental health, addiction, or behavioral health concerns, or are just curious about your mental health, get a “check-up from the neck up” with a free, anonymous, online screening tool at www.vayamindful.org.
FIND HELP: Help is available if you or someone you love is in need of mental health services, intellectual/developmental disability services, or substance abuse treatment. Mental health services in Transylvania County are coordinated by Vaya Health. To speak to a trained professional who can help you access services, call 800.849.6127 (available 24/7). For a listing of local providers and individual practitioners, visit Vaya’s Provider Search. Several local providers are listed below:
- Blue Ridge Health – 29 W French Broad St, Brevard. Counseling, psychiatry, group therapy, somatic therapy, child psychiatry, couple and family counseling, addiction services, and mental health crisis care. Contact 828.883.5550.
- Carolina Pediatric Therapy – 159-B King St, Brevard. Family therapy, parent training, and group or individual therapy for a child or adolescent experiencing anxiety, traumatic stress, depression, ADHD, and learning challenges. Contact 828.538.4721.
- Fresh Start Behavioral Health – 260 Hospital Dr, Brevard. Outpatient behavioral health group services and psychiatric medication management for ages 55 and older. Contact 828.862.6393.
- Meridian Behavioral Health Services – 69 N Broad St, Brevard. Outpatient and community-based services, intensive in-home, therapy, and school counseling serving children and adults. Contact 828.883.2708.
- Tapesty – 11 N Country Club Rd, Brevard. Women-only facility offering adult residential, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient programs for eating disorders. Contact 828.373.8343.
CLASSES AND SUPPORT GROUPS: There are several support groups and classes available in Transylvania County for those struggling with difficult situations, as well as their friends and family members.
- Emotions Anonymous – Confidential 12-step program for people who are sad, angry, anxious, lonely, depressed, grieving, or have any emotions they are having a difficult time dealing with. Meets Thursdays, 6:30-7:30pm in the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd’s Sunday School wing. Contact Kathleen at (828) 862-3275 or Lisa at (828) 384-9063.
Transylvania County Transportation provides rides for medical needs (including medical appointment outside the county), seniors, young children, and others as space is available. Some rides require a fare. For more information, call 828.884.3203, email [email protected], or visit transylvaniacounty.org/transportation.
Hunger and Food Insecurity
The Hunger Coalition of Transylvania County maintains a listing of food pantries located throughout the county, which includes a monthly schedule, locations, and contact information. View the Food Pantry Map and Schedule.
If you are pregnant, have recently given birth, or have children under 5 years old, you may be eligible to receive food vouchers and more through the WIC Nutrition Program. For more information, call 828.884.3242 or visit signupwic.com.
The CARE Coalition of Transylvania County is a Drug-Free Communities grant recipient that works to reduce substance misuse by promoting prevention, treatment, and recovery efforts among youth and adults. Learn more about CARE at their website or Facebook page, or call 828.884.1750.
If your child is in need of dental care, our dental hygienist can help with referrals: call 828-884-1738.
Mission Health’s ToothBus visits Transylvania County during spring break and early summer each year to provide on-site dental care to elementary school-age children. For more information or to sign up your child for an appointment, call 828.884.1740.
Blue Ridge Health’s Brevard Office offers dental services on a sliding scale for uninsured patients, and accepts private insurance, Medicaid and Medicare. There can be a long wait for appointments, but emergency patients can often walk-in for same day care. For more information, call 828.883.5550.