Dozens of other health-related resources in our community are located outside of our agency. Please find more information and links to some of the most frequently-requested resources below.
General Information and Referrals
The best way to find resources in Transylvania County is to call 211.
United Way‘s “211” program maintains a directory of services for each county.
- Dial 211 (or 888.892.1162) to speak with a trained resource assistant who can help you find the information you need and connect you directly with those resources.
- Visit nc211.org to access the directory online. A copy of the directory’s resources for Transylvania County (as of 3.5.2015) is available here.
IN A CRISIS: If someone is experiencing a crisis due to mental health disturbances, developmental disabilities, or addiction, call RHA’s Mobile Crisis Team. Behavioral health professionals are available 24/7/365 to safely stabilize the person at home, work, school or wherever in the community the crisis occurs. Call 888.573.1006.
SEE HOW YOU’RE DOING: If you have mental health, addiction, or behavioral health concerns, or are just curious about your mental health, get a “check-up from the neck up” with a free, anonymous, online screening tool at www.vayamindful.org.
FIND HELP: Help is available if you or someone you love is in need of mental health services, intellectual/developmental disability services, or substance abuse treatment. Mental health services in Transylvania County are coordinated by Vaya Health. To access services, call 800.849.6127 (available 24/7).
For more information, visit the following links:
CLASSES AND SUPPORT GROUPS: There are several support groups and classes available in Transylvania County for those struggling with difficult situations, as well as their friends and family members.
- Care Network – Dinner by donation, followed by FREE one-on-one coaching from experienced mentors, opportunities to serve others, and support groups for addiction, divorce, death, parenting, and more. Wednesdays, 6:00pm-7:30pm at Brevard Community Church, 417 Morris Rd. Contact 828.884.5932 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Survivors of Suicide Support Group – FREE support group for anyone affected by suicide, whether having survived an attempt, experience urges, or affected by the suicide of a loved one. 2nd and 4th Mondays, 7:00pm-8:30pm at Alliance CBS, 45 N. Country Club Rd. Contact 828.883.9676.
- Recovery Education Center – FREE classes, courses, and seminars in wellness and skill-building. Class schedule changes seasonally; open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm with some night classes at Meridian BHS, 69 N. Broad St. Contact 828.883.2708 or email@example.com.
- NAMI Transylvania Advocates – Support for recovery and caregiving from volunteers who live with mental health issues or care about people with mental health issues. Schedule varies. Contact 828.883.4603 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transylvania County Transportation provides rides for medical needs (including medical appointment outside the county), seniors, young children, and others as space is available. Some rides require a fare. For more information, call 828.884.3203, email email@example.com, or visit transylvaniacounty.org/transportation.
Hunger and Food Insecurity
The Hunger Coalition of Transylvania County maintains a listing of food pantries located throughout the county, which includes a monthly schedule, locations, and contact information. View the Food Pantry Map and Schedule.
If you are pregnant, have recently given birth, or have children under 5 years old, you may be eligible to receive food vouchers and more through the WIC Nutrition Program. For more information, call 828.884.3242 or visit signupwic.com.
Substance Abuse and Underage Drinking
The C.A.R.E. Coalition is a Drug-Free Communities grant recipient that works to reduce underage drinking and substance abuse–particularly related to prescription medications and emerging drugs–in Transylvania County. Learn more about C.A.R.E. at their website or Facebook page, or call 828.884.1750.
If your child is in need of dental care, our dental hygienist can help with referrals: call 828-884-1738.
Mission Health’s ToothBus visits Transylvania County during spring break and early summer each year to provide on-site dental care to elementary school-age children. For more information or to sign up your child for an appointment, call 828.884.1740.
Blue Ridge Health’s Brevard Office offers dental services on a sliding scale for uninsured patients, and accepts private insurance, Medicaid and Medicare. There can be a long wait for appointments, but emergency patients can often walk-in for same day care. For more information, call 828.883.5550.